Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Fat Tuesday Pancakes


I had no idea what Fat Tuesday was until I was a young adult. In fact, the season of Lent was something that I had not heard about prior to college. Dr. Clapp, the chaplain of my small liberal arts UCC college offered an Ash Wednesday Service, and I, of course, wouldn't have missed. I was hungry for God back then in a different way than I've ever been since (new Christian), ready to soak up every bit of spiritual formation or teaching- similar to my appetite for pancakes this morning:) 

Fat Tuesday is in many ways the preparation for the preparation. We prepare our bodies symbolically and materially by eating rich and nourishing foods, for a time of intentional spiritual preparation during Lent. Lenten preparation is important for Christian Formation. An intentional posture of holding open our Heart to the Spirit's conditioning- making us hungrier and hungrier for PRESENCE, LOVE, and ultimately the coming of EASTER- for a power beyond our own might and thinking and discipline, that performs the thing that we are utterly incapable of on our own- love conquering death in the RESURRECTION. 

I don't know about you, but I know that there are areas in my life that I need to work on. I tend to hide my more tender places, the areas in need of disciplined focused attention. So go out and get some yummy pancakes, fortify your body and mind, preparing for God's good work.


No comments:

Post a Comment